Friday, August 21, 2009

Of horse-theivin' and child-rearin'

The first rule of parenting and horse-stealing is: "Keep your mouth shut 'till you make it back to the barn."

We had the best luck with Jack driving to Spartanburg and back last weekend. On the way down, in the middle of the day, he slept the entire way except for a few minutes of happy cooing around Kannapolis. Not bad for an-almost-3-hour car trip at 6 months. Then, on the ride back we left right at bedtime and he slept all the way to Greensboro, until I opened my big mouth about a mile from the house. No sooner than I had said "What an amazing kid, I can't believe we made it all the way home without him crying," a shrieking wail bereft of all hope and peace erupted from the back seat.

Needless to say, I drove that last mile with my head hung sheepishly and a finger in my ear. And I learned my lesson.


No comments: