Monday, March 16, 2009

Humble Pie....mmmm

I am officially posting my apology. I distinctly remember thinking, a few months ago, that the mothers who complain of hardly having time to get a shower or cook a proper meal due to having to care for one single tiny newborn were just poor at time-management skills. Being the arrogant pre-motherhood person that I was, I was quite confident in my multitasking ability and was actually looking forward to having eight full weeks of maternity leave to tackle all sorts of craft projects, not to mention cooking fabulous meals for my new family and ensuring a tidy home.

Needless to say, I am now enjoying a very large slice of humble pie. It occurred to me in the shower yesterday at 1pm, having not eaten breakfast or lunch and running late to the doctors office, knowing full well I didn't have either the time or the energy to dry my hair for the doctor, that I would surely say something to the nurse when she brought me back along the lines of, "I actually took a shower today and it was great!"

Oddly, though, being covered in vomit-stained PJs with little to no time for eating or sleeping doesn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would. There is something about my sweet little boy who smells like apples and freshly baked yellow cake that makes all of it miraculously joyful. And, I have a strong feeling that there will come a time much too soon when I will wish to be back in this very moment with tiny Jackson sleeping in my arms. So for now, I'm enjoying my pie and my son, knowing full well this is what life is supposed to be about.

No comments: