Saturday, September 14, 2013

High Flight

One of my favorite poems is the landmark verse set out by John Gillespie Magee, High Flight - I don't know if I should have been a fighter pilot instead of a grunt, or used my GI Bill to get a pilot's license rather than an LLM. But I sure would like to experience this one day:
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, -- and done a hundred things
***
The kids got a taste of this today at 5NC3 - the Gilliam-McConnell Airfield just outside Carthage NC. Runway 13/31 was very active around lunchtime, and for good reason. Just 20 yards off the tarmac sits a third-generation BBQ joint called Pik-N-Pig, hickory smoked pulled pork, fried pickle chips, and Co-Cola Cake. Yum.


Jack and Caroline and Callie really got a kick out of watching the planes come in and out. And playing cornhole.






And riding in the "Flying Pig" amusement ride.





Sam and Emma mainly just enjoyed the food. I have to say, I enjoyed it all.

No comments: